Property Damage Estimate - trees

gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)January 24, 2008

I'm trying to figure out what forum to post in. If you've got any ideas..please let me know.

There was a car accident in our front yard. The driver left the road and took out 4 trees on our side yard and took out my lilac bush.

I was contacted by the insurance agent and was given an offer. I'm not sure if I should just accept the 1st offer or bargain. I'm waiting for someone to give me a professional estimate.

The lilac bush was 10ft tall and a beautiful spread of about 8 ft. It was many branches coming up from the bottom. I'm guessing it to be at least 15 yrs old. The 4 trees are (1) 6" diam, (2) 4" diam, & (1) 3" diam. They were all about 15 ft tall.

The only thing that I'm concerned with is the lilac bush and reseeding the yard but if insurance is going to compensate...well...I want to get what is due (and fair).

Any ideas where I can look online for how to handle the situation? Or maybe a few of you have been in my position.

The offer looks good only because we aren't planning on replacing those trees.

Thanks! LC Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heptacodium

There are two ways of calculating the replacement value.

First, you call a local nursery and ask for the largest size of the respective plants they have/can get, and ask them for a quote including delivery and planting. Perhaps they'll have the same size, probably, it's going to be smaller.

Second, you call someone who is certified to do plant appraisals and ask for his input.

But honestly, if you're not going to replace the trees, take what they're giving you. You want what's fair, but to do with disingenuous motives is at least as wrong as getting a poor offer.

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

Bookmark   January 24, 2008 at 3:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)

Thanks so much for your advise and opinion, I think. My question was on how to handle the situation not for judgment.

Bookmark   January 25, 2008 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Inventory
I have been selling plants that I grow for a long time...
angfull
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™