New Potager Garden

charlieboringDecember 12, 2013

I know nothing about what a "potager" garden should be, however my wife has always grown herbs such as sage, rosemary and basil among our landscape plants, so I thought that I would build a raised garden where I can plant herbs and certain other shade tolerant vegetables such as lettuce and swiss chards. I intend to pattern the raised bed after another that I built and I have attached a picture of it. The difference will only be that it will be in an area that gets less sun and I will plant different plants. In this one I have artichokes in the middle and gojiberries on each end. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littlelizzy123

This is very pretty! It's a really nice use of space!

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 12:30PM
Jennifer_Ruth(Z 10, Sunset Z 23)

What a nice garden bed! I would just make sure that the new one is well-drained and does get at least some sun. And I would also research the herbs you're planting, because some herbs prefer a lot of sun.

There are so many pretty lettuces and chards out there that you'll be able to make a wonderful pattern in the new garden--sort of like an area rug, only more three-dimensional.

I'd suggest edging the beds with edible flowers such as Johnny-Jump-Ups (violas). I see that you have some nasturtiums in your artichoke bed, but I'm talking about flowers all the way around the edge. Sweet alyssum would be another good choice, although it's not edible as far as I know. But it looks wonderful spreading onto the stone edges. It will tolerate some shade. Very easy to grow from seed, and quick to flower.

Or you could get the more vining types of nasturtium. They don't really climb; they ramble across the ground, which would help shade out weeds in your artichoke bed. One of my favorites is Moonlight, a lovely light yellow. Out of Africa or Variegated Queen have variegated foliage. Or look for "Tall Climbing Nasturtiums," which is usually a mix of flower colors with plain foliage. They too are very easy to grow from seed.

Please post photos for us! I look forward to seeing them.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Nasturtium Variegated Queen

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 9:02PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I would never put nasturtium IN a garden (at least in this area) because it tends to take over the area! Any that come up IN the vege garden are promptly plucked! The N word took over my herb garden to the point that we couldn't FIND our herbs and have had to totally re-do the herb garden ( in pots). We are STILL finding N's EVERYWHERE!
I love them on the outskirts of the garden, but they are a PEST in the garden! JMHO Nancy

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 9:13PM
riverfarm(7)

Oh, that's interesting. They don't take over my garden at all; I plant them each year in a vain attempt to distract squash bugs and borers!

Very pretty potager, littlelizzy!

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 9:45AM
lavender_lass(4b)

Our nasturtiums never grow large enough to be a problem...but we only have about five months of frost free weather.

Very pretty bed...I think you have a great idea! :)

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
flat feet exercises
I genuinely enjoy looking through on this internet...
Happy12
Who's still here?
I know this forum has been slow, but I'm hoping we...
lavender_lass
New garden design!
It looks like we'll be moving, so I'm looking forward...
lavender_lass
How close are your raspberries to other plants?
I'm about to plant some raspberries. I posted in fruit...
ffreidl
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Scrapbook Birdhouse - 40812
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Varaluz | Masquerade Table Lamp
$189.00 | YLighting
Birjand Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Palermo Garden Stool
Home Decorators Collection
Elk Lighting 9.5H in. Pediment Finials - Set of 3 - 93-3282
$66.00 | Hayneedle