Rubber tree Propagation

jeep461(5)January 11, 2007

I have read the different posts on propagation for rubber trees. He is the problem. I was hunting for a banyan tree cutting at the local dump and ran into a rubber tree somebody pruned or removed. I have about 30-1" x 2 ft sections to root. Leaves stripped xcept for a few. This is too many to bring in so can they be done outside. Will they root in the cold? This is S. Texas so it could be 70+ with 40 for lows. Now the main trunk is about 3" x 6' can it be rooted? Also last question should I reduce the length for rooting ease. They are all sitting in large buckets of water right now. One last thought I have a well that has 78 degree water if I left them in water outside and allowed the well water to trickle into the buckets would there be sufficient warmth to have them root in water? I am kind of shooting from the hip here.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Air layering is the BEST!!! method for propGATING THIS PLANT CUTTINGS ARE VERY SLOW & LOW % SUCCESS. That said. Can you provide bottom heat to cuttings as the 40F low at night will be a pproblem. apply 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) & only 1 SMALL leaf or leaf part per cutting. misting not important BUT keeping soil moist is. Finally.. often takes 60+ days to root. The 3" X 6' stem will not root.

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeep461(5)

Sorry for the late reply. I was off elsewhere and forgot to check the email notification I guess. Ok, I guess I have to play the waiting game on the cuttings. Would .8% IBA help? I check them daily in the water and they appear to be forming nodules on the smaller cuttings. I do have them down to 1 leaf. I will move them into a better environment after the cold snap here. I have some sea grapes in with them and these definatly will root. They are forming nodules all over the area in water.

Thanks,

Jim

Bookmark   January 14, 2007 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™