Redwood Re-rooting Question

TheMidnightGarden(9)January 6, 2013

Okay, lets try to ask this with out sounding like an idiot.......lol

I have seem many redwoods, that send up these little "shoots" from their base. They seem to be part of the tree its self....

Is it possible to remove some, and root them elsewhere?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Those are suckers from the trunk of the tree, they have no roots and can not be started as new trees. I got so tired of pruning them off I let them grow into a hedge around the tree and then only had to trim the hedge yearly. Al

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 9:37AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

They can be (and often are) grown as new trees! Google 'redwood cuttings' for instructions.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:50PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Hmmm, it seems that this is one of two almost duplicate posts. Here's a link to the other, for those interested:

Here is a link that might be useful: Duplicate Post - Dummies Guide to Redwood Cuttings

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:56PM
TheMidnightGarden(9)

brandon7-

it is not a duplicate post. the other post is asking about redwood cuttings.

this post was made to ask specifically about the shoots that are found on the base of some redwoods........

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 3:00PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Well the answer to one is pretty much the answer to the other. A cutting taken from a root sucker is still a cutting. To be more more specific, these suckers can be thought of as terminal cuttings.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:17PM
TheMidnightGarden(9)

Terminal cuttings?

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:39PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm gonna have to work on a better definition, but roughly, a terminal cutting (actually, a terminal-stem cutting) is a cutting taken from the top of a tree's leader or major upward-growing branch. A lateral-stem cutting would be one taken from an outward-growing branch. These different types of cuttings often result in different forms of growth.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 9:44PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

The academic people have been interested in redwood cuttings since my student days in the '60s. I'm guessing that Googling with site:.edu among the search terms could overwhelm us.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 1:20PM
Swift_01

I have a redwood in my back yard that was causing some problems for my neighbours sewer line. it's was probably about 40 years old and had been topped many times to keep the neighbour's view open. We chopped all of the branches off of it so all that is left is a tall stump, but I'm wondering if the roots with those suckers will keep growing and spreading the root system.

Will they regenerate the tree from those suckers or is the tree completely done if only a stump is left?

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 5:10PM
calistoga_al

Swift 01 I would not be surprised to see new growth break out ot the standing trunk. When the original native redwood is cut it is nornal to have a ring of new trees grow from the roots of the old tree. When a redwood is blown over and is on the ground, within a couple of years many new shoots can be found growing from the top side of the fallen tree. Al

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 6:52PM
Swift_01

Thanks, Calistoga.... I'd like to kill the roots so there is no chance of them growing again. Any suggestions on that short of digging them up? It was a rather large tree and would take an excavator to dig up what's left.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 11:09AM
cooperdr_gw(6a)

Usually with rooting powder it says to use an old piece of growth but I don't really see the harm in trying. Except for all the warnings on the label.

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™