Knockout Roses

buckeyejoe(8 Coastal Carolina)January 22, 2007

I'm about 30 miles north of Myrtle beach and spring will be coming soon. This is my second spring here and last year I planted a couple of Knockout Roses. They did very well and will need to be cut way back. I would like to try and propogate the cuttings. It's growing quite a bit of new folage right now after all that warm weather we had. My questions would be; What would be the optimum time to prune and take my cuttings and how large a cutting would you try to root? The plants are now propablt 3 ft tall and I plan to prune them way back.

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I am known for being a severe rose pruner, but that is because most of my roses are tea roses and rampant growers. Knockout is a great shrub rose but I do not prune it like a tea rose. Cuttings about the size of a pencil diameter root very well, but Knockout is a patented rose and should not be propagated from cuttings. It takes years to develop a new superior rose like Knockout and I would like them to be rewarded for their efforts. Al

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 10:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bossjim1

Hey Joe, I don't see a problem with you propagating your Knockouts as long as you are doing it for your own use. Propagating them for sale could be a problem. Here's a little website that might help.
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Roses

Bookmark   January 22, 2007 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™