Feeding Yucca Rostrata

pmac22(Zone 6)December 25, 2013

Hi everyone,
Does anyone here have experience with yucca rostrata?
I have one that does not look good at all, full of yellow. It was formerly growing in 100% potting soil without good drainage. I moved it into a larger pot and took out most of the soil and mixed with perlite and small pebbles to increase drainage. I have read that these guys do not like their roots touched so I know this plant is not happy right now. Is there something I can feed the yucca rostrata to get some life back? I need serious help with this one.

-Thanks
Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chadec(N.C.7b)

This is not a good time to be feeding this plant as it is not a winter grower. I would limit watering to a min. of every two wks. With the amended soil and dry roots the plant should be able to recover.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 12:09AM
pmac22(Zone 6)

Good news I just checked and there is new growth coming out that I haven't seen for a while. It looks like it's coming back! I will continue to water min every two weeks.
Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 9:31PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Good luck! I've seen rostratas in the ground here do amazing and have pretty fast growth rates and I've seen some that have just sit there for years and not grown at all so any growth a all is probably a very good sign!
-Alex

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:57AM
chadec(N.C.7b)

They are super strong plants. Mine was attacked by pest this yr. And is in recovery now too.

When you have a chance I would switch your soil to a gritty mix. A quick google search will get you the proper mix. I use a custom mix of bark chips, builders sand and pea gravel only because those ingredints are easy to come by.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:05PM
subtropix

Mine is planted out front in a hot, southern exposure. I never feed it. Don't think they need any fertilizer under normal circumstances. Pretty much carefree.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:00PM
sasha64

Ive planted 4 rostratas this spring and they r doing great so far will see over this Michigan winter how they will do!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™