hornworms on bhut jolokia pepper plant

steven1032July 16, 2012

i have never had hornworms before and the only plants in my garden are pepper plants. i tried bhut jolokias this year and am getting a lot of hornworms on my bhuts. is this normal for bhuts to get hornworms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homefry319(5b NE)

hornworm larvae generally come from the soil and will go after almost every plant(peppers and tomatoes are generally first)

The best way to get ride of them, is kill them as you see them, you could spray but it'll take multiple sprayings

also if you see one that looks like it has white worms on it, let it live those "worms" are actually parasitic wasps

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:53AM
rockguy(7a)

Hornworm eggs are laid singly on top of the leaves. They are small and milky white. Dust the plant with a product containing BT like Dipel or thuricide. If you see any worms with the white cocoons, leave them alone to spread the tiny parasitic warps. While you're at it dust any other solanums you have, like tomatoes, eggplants or other peppers. Repeat after a rain.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:41PM
rockguy(7a)

I forgot to say BT can be used up until the day of harvest, just wash it off and eat.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 2:44PM
Darylltx

there is a product at most garden centers called BT worm killer by green light it is a liquid that you put like 1 teaspoon per quart of a spray bottle and spray your plants and ground at bottom of plant about every 5 days or so and after rains. when a worm bites a leaf, he will die the next morning. I had a huge infestation on tomatoes and after spraying a couple times they disappeared. no more holes in my tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 3:05PM
Darylltx

there is a product at most garden centers called BT worm killer by green light it is a liquid that you put like 1 teaspoon per quart of a spray bottle and spray your plants and ground at bottom of plant about every 5 days or so and after rains. when a worm bites a leaf, he will die the next morning. I had a huge infestation on tomatoes and after spraying a couple times they disappeared. no more holes in my tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 7:24PM
capoman(5a)

I used BT earlier in the season and have no hornworms at all this year on tomatoes or peppers.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™