Palm Reading

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady LakeDecember 7, 2012

Sort of. I'm actually looking for an identification of this palm that I have seen at Sea World - Orlando several times but never remembered to get a picture of to get it identified. I finally remembered. The picture really doesn't do it justice as you don't really get a sense of scale here. But in person this thing is just huge when compared to most palms I encounter. It is easily 15-20 ft wide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miketropic

I would say it was a bismark but that smooth lower trunk is throwing me off...still looks like a bismark to me but I am far from an expert

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:09PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

Looking at pictures of other Bismarks, I think you are correct. I even see some that have been smooth trimmed like this one. I've seen people talk about Bismarks on this forum many, many times. I guess I just never got to see one this big. Or just didn't realize it. In the google images there's one that looks like it might make this one look a little on the small side.

Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:41PM
tropicbreezent

It is a Bismarckia nobilis. They normally have a smooth trunk, they're self cleaning. Only very small plants retain the leaf bases. After they start trunking the old leaf bases soon start to fall off. Can't find photos of the tallest I've seen, this is about a medium sized one.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 10:40PM
miketropic

I have 5 seeds in the prop that have been there a bit over a month and nothing. I would love to have a bismarck but once it got that big im not sure what I could do with it seeing my climate and all

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 12:15AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
There is one directly in front of the home depot in Lake Park florida was planted when they opened the center in 1981 is around 30 feet tall . Doesn't even resemble a Bismark now lol. It is seeding for the first time and i couldn't help but steal a couple of seeds lol Only one I've ever seen with seeds lol I'll try to get a pic of it
because it looks so unlike a bismark but i know it is as I saw it planted. One of my favorite palms !! gary

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 3:54AM
wilki(9b)

Here are two larger Bismark Palms I photographed at Ponce Inlet, Florida.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 6:42AM
tropicbreezent

This one's dropped a lot of its seed already. But it's been seeding for some years, the ground around the base was covered with seedlings as well as dead ones from being mown over. Obviously the gardeners don't want a thicket of them.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 9:05AM
miketropic

I really love this palm..I wish these seeds I got would open up!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:04PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Bismarkias are one of my favorite palms! They do great as potted palms outdoors, but hate being indoors in my experience. They are often sold here at local nursuries as "summer annuals", some are 20 feet tall. It's a shame that people buy them and let them die every winter around here.
Some of the nicest bismarkias I have seen are in EPCOT in Disney World. Animal Kingdom has some nice ones too. They seem to be getting very popular in Central Florida landscapes over the past decade.
-Alex

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:18PM
tropicbreezent

They are very cheap here as a small potted plant, but those larger ones would cost a fortune. To use those as an annual seems irresponsible, both financially and horticulturally.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 7:57PM
kinzyjr

Definitely a Bismarck palm. We have a really nice one at Lake Hollingsworth. They are reasonably fast growing here. When I first got here, the one at the lake was only my height. It's now well over 20 feet tall. The leaves are easily a yard across. The blue tint makes it very desirable. Wonderful palms if you have the space for them.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 9:37PM
miketropic

well tropicalzone 7B next time you see a small one for sale give me the contact info and I will see if they will ship it this way.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 7:21AM
tropicbreezent

I took this photo the other day. Plenty of seeds and seedlings there for the taking ;O)

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 5:11AM
More Discussions
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™