Suggestions for propagating Juniperis stems?

floyd2006January 6, 2007

My neighbor has a beautiful columnular Juniper. Its about 2' x 15' an I think it might be Juniperus Chinesis. I'd like to propagate from stem cuttings, but have never done this before.

Questions:

What would be the ideal width and length of the stems to take? Also planting depth?

I don't have a misting system, but thought about planting in a large aquarium in moist sand? Does this sound like it will work?

Would a heating mat speed up rooting in time for outdoor planting in spring?

I need any advice that can be proffered. Thanks for looking at this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Take a cutting 4-6 inches long with a heal. apply 0.4% IBA stick in well drained soil. Misting not needed. bottom heat helpful.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 5:23PM
floyd2006

Thank you, Georgez5il for your advice. I know I'm on the right path now. How deep should the 4-6 inch cuttings be planted--half way? Is there any chance that the scrap cuttings without a heal might sprout roots? I'm trying to do as many as possible from one tree.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 10:48PM
mickey_dee2002(zone5 MI)

On a four to six inch cutting, I would strip the needles off with my finger nail about half way and burry that potion in the rooting medium, sometimes a small heal will help the rooting process. This injury to the cutting stimulates the rooting process. Another alternative at this time of year is to dip them in a liquid rooting solution (I use Wood's or Dip n Grow diluted 1 to 5 with a 5 second dip)after scrapping off the needles and stick them in a flat of corse sand outside. Water them in and keep watered so they do not dry out. Right now, I have a 4' X 8' bed and three additional flats filled with various evergreen and deciduious cuttings. This method may take a while for them to root, but by next fall you will likely have roots. The following spring they can be planted out is a growing bed.

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™