Transplanting peppers

photopilotJuly 9, 2008

Being a newbee but enthusiastic gardeners we made a few errors. The biggest one is planting Peppers and Squash intermingled. If you have worked with both you can guess who wins out in a competition between the two. Since over half out garden is dedicated to these two items, we have more than enough of both of each of these, but i am not sure you can ever have too many hot peppers.

So far we have been cutting the leaves and repositioning vines of the squash as they interfere with the lives of the peppers. At this point the squash vines are growing so fast, seems like a couple of feet a week, i am hoping for other options.

Is it possible to dig up the pepper plants that are so deep into the squashes territory that it is either one or the other? Most of the I.D. tags have been buried in mulch so I am not sure what is where, but I think the most endangered peppers are some Thai chilis, jalapenos, red hots and Habaneros.

Any suggestions on how to dig up and move these peppers to another row, or would it be too tough on these plants about to start producing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

If the other option is overgrown or dead peppers, I'd say try transplanting. I've dug some peppers in the fall and moved them inside in pots without much trouble. They are quite hearty.

Try digging holes in your new location first, add water to them, and then dig one plant keeping as much root ball as possible. Immediately place it into the predug hole and again water it well. Do second watering before going on to dig any others. I'd try to do this late in the afternoon or evening to avoid heat and high sun on the translants. Might also set a lawn chair or umbrella nearby to cast a shadow on the transplant for the next few days. You may lose a few pods but at least the squash will not win...and there is alot of summer left for squash to grow. I came up with this method while moving large flowering perennials and most looked fine within a few days.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Why I Like Tobacco Trays
Have 72 cells, which are cone shaped so the seedlings...
tomt226
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™