DMSO solvent for rooting hormone

maple_grove_gwJanuary 17, 2012

Hi all,

Just wondering what you thoughts are about the use of DMSO as solvent (and penetrant?) for rooting hormone (in this case IBA). I am aware of it's toxicity to humans, and to handle it safely. The question concerns its effect on the cuttings. Is DMSO toxic to plants at some concentration? Is the hormone dissolved in neat DMSO and the plant dipped in that, or is the DMSO solution diluted with water before quick dip?

Thanks,

Alex

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I am aware of it's toxicity to humans, and to handle it safely.

==>>

at that point.. i simply ask .. WHY USE IT???

looking for a 6th finger.. eleventh toe?? ... may we presume you are done procreating ... so we need not worry about your progeny ????

simply put .. when i was looking into it .. and i got to the point you are at.. i said .. IT AINT WORTH IT .. let someone else worry about self-inflicted genetic recombination

give me one reason you are willing to take the risk?????

and the only possible correct answer is that you are a retired/active scientist with a properly ventilated hermetically sealed laboratory available to screw around in ...

come on man.. skip it.. lifes to short ...

ken

ps: yeah.. rub it all over me.. from the link:

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of inhalation (lung irritant). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye
contact (irritant), of ingestion, .

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, sensitizer, permeator), of ingestion. CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS:
Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be toxic to
blood, kidneys, liver, mucous membranes, skin, eyes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target
organs damage.

==>>> i usually smoke while using this type of product.. to offset the harmful effects of such ...

pps: i am messin with you.. just be careful ... but still try to answer.. why you need it???

Here is a link that might be useful: pdf link

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

To paraphrase ken's response: WHY?

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™