Source for Plastic Pots

insipidtoastJanuary 23, 2011

I'd like to purchase 1,000 1 gallon plastic pots for a homescale nursery. What is a good online supplier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Griffin Greenhouse and Nursery Supply - http://www.griffins.com/

If you're on the east coast, there should be a local branch somewhere near you. If not, you could have them shipped or look for a similar local supplier. Also, check the Container Forum. I bet they have a bunch of listings.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 7:55PM
calistoga_al

Our garden club uses several thousand one gallon nursery pots, all of them used. The landfill dumps are full of them. Buying new pots for a home nursery will make a serious dent it your profits. Al

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 10:10AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

That reminds me of another possibility. When/If you take your plastic bottles to a recycling center, keep an eye out for some there. I threw away a bunch of used pots at one today. I've never looked into the bins to see if others were there, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 11:19PM
madrone(VancIsl BC)

I put a sign up on the driveway in the spring. Its amazing how many of my neighbours are very happy to know they are being environmentally responsible by having their pots reused (the 2nd most ENERGY efficient "R" in the REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE).

Bookmark   January 30, 2011 at 4:38PM
insipidtoast

Calistoga,

Do you actually go to the landfill and pick out thousands of pots? If not, how do you acquire them?

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 12:06AM
ETxHippie(8)

I buy them used on ebay for a lot less than the cost of buying new. They still have dirt on them so I wash them in a large tub of bleach water. The plants I put in them don't seem to notice the pots aren't new.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 10:53PM
deltaohio

Check with some landscapers. They are always looking to get rid of containers.

Frank

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:03AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Calistoga is right, I have been to the landfill(SC) & seen them. But less then they once did because of people taking them to recycling center like brandon 7 said.
Madrone, put up a sign will help, I just pick them up off the street, before the trash truck comes, like the grass clippings, leaves & straw for mulch & composting.
A friend ran a 2 acre nursery, got spare pots by asking his customers to return his pots & any other they did not want & got them from all over,Walmart,Lowes.Just make it clear what size you want or you will end up with a truck load of 2" X 2" pots. The larger carrying trays are good for cutting & seed propagation.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 11:46AM
franknjim

I go dumpster diving at Lowes and have collected tons of growers pots in all sizes, cell packs and flats. Quite often during the season they throw out entire flats of dying plants, especially during the peak of summer and in the fall. The garden center section usually has their own dumpster seperate from the rest of the store.

If you want new sold retail you can try the link below. If you have a resellers license and can buy wholesale do a search online for Hummert in St. Louis Missouri.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse Megastore

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:22AM
TravelingBiker(9)

My wife and I are always on the look out for pots being thrown away. They clean up real nice with a can of spray paint and look brand new. No one knows we salvage our pots from the garbage ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Weblog

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 4:24AM
hookedongardens67

I can help you out with those 1000 one gallons, I have that many easily.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™