digging and selling topsoil

Havenheart(WV 7a)February 21, 2007

Hi Folks --

A friend has approached me, since I am in the landscape business, to help him sell topsoil that will be excavated from the site he is digging a large pond. He has permission to dig in an area that is flood plain, and so is wonderful dark river bottom earth. It will probably meet organic standards since it has not been farmed or had pesticides on it in over 10 years.

I'm in the process of getting the soil tested, and we are discussing the best ways to sell the soil. We're debating whether to try to find someone to dig and haul the whole thing for one price, or whether we should try to sell and haul the dirt ourselves.

My question for you all is, have you any experience with this type of ag business? Do you have any information about reasonable prices for either bulk soil or direct sales of soil in the metro-DC area? Do you know of any resources for setting up and managing this type of business?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

haven

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachel_z6(7)

Maybe contact bulk yards and ask them where they get their topsoil--whether they buy from people in your situation, a broker, or if they come in with permission to dig and do it all themselves. that way you might be able to sell it en masse. your county extension office might be able to help too--I've asked ag questions in MD and been pointed at someone who might know the answer. I'm wondering if the organic standards differ by state--since you have to deal with quite a few in the DC area. good luck.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Please Please help me find....
HI all, I'm looking for a very dark green version of...
appsya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™