Starting a nursery business

paper_crane2(5a)February 25, 2013

I would really like to start a nursery business. I have done a lot of research but I am still not quite sure on one thing: how do I find wholesalers to buy from? Do I buy online or somewhere else?

If I was a wholesale grower myself how would I find nurseries to buy from me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Join your state's nurseryman's association - pretty much every state has one. This is an excellent resource for networking and mentoring and you will easily find the contacts you need.

Depending on the type of nursery you intend to operate, I would not necessarily limit my contacts to only local sources. The larger wholesalers - Monrovia, Baileys, Iseli, Terra Nova, Walters, etc, etc. will sell anywhere as long as minimum orders are made and any kind of delivery issues are met (smaller plants can certainly go through the mail or UPS).

Wholesalers generally have no problems finding customers......unless they are start-up operations. I'm not sure I'd recommend that route for anyone new to the industry in my area - retailing is far easier to get started - but not sure about that side of the business in your neck of the woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: MI Nursery and Landscape Association

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 3:22PM
normana61
    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 4:08PM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

Go to the trade shows. There will be lots of vendors selling almost anything you can use. The Great Lakes Trade Show unfortunately was back in January. You might see if any of the neighboring states are putting anything on like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Lakes Trade Show

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Inventory
I have been selling plants that I grow for a long time...
angfull
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™