What is best seedling plug manufacturer?

bobsmith2482(5)January 3, 2007

Looking through plant and seed catalogs, I've noticed companies are selling plugs for growing seedlings, made from composted bark. The plugs are spongy and hold their shape. They supposedly hold the right amount of water. My questions: who make these plugs? Park seed company sells their variety. Gurneys sell a variety. There is the Q-plug, Peaceful Valley sells or makes their own, plus several other companies sell similiar products. Which plug is the best and gives you the best seedling quality?

How do you use the plug you buy? Do you grow the seedling to completion in the plug? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

lacking a greenhouse.. and all the attendant equipment for temp/humidity/etc control .. i have had horrible luck with plugs in the house ....

you would be just as far ahead using the smallest plastic cups[solo] you can find ... use a razor to cut the bottom rim for drainage.. and going to the best yuppie nursery .. and getting the best soiless seedling medium you can afford ....

most plugs are high in peat moss .. which is very hard to maintain in the house.. too wet.. or too dry .. never a happy medium ....

that said .. i expect a multitude of answers about how easy it is to do with plugs ... lol ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 11:30AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Plugs are used until a good root system is established and then the seedling can be transplanted into a larger container for growing out.

I experimented with them for classroom purposes, but didn't like them. My husband used them in his greenhouse at the university, but I observed that they were keeping the plants in those plugs waaaaay too long, stunting their growth. They'd be useful if you were growing seedlings to sell as plugs. My opinion.

I'm a seedling flat person. Wait, that didn't come out right....a 'seedling-flat' person. ;-)

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 11:54AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Forty years ago I tried every plug described in the textbooks or sold in the catalogues and did not care for any of them. My experience was that most of the time the roots wanted to stay in the plug and did not want to venture out into the soil.

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Source for berry cuttings
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the...
shaggyfrog
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
15826BE Beach Kichler LED Center Mount Landscape Path Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Tempo Smoke Lattice Plug-in Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Orb Table Lamp
Lightology
Metro Sectional Sofa
Italy Design
Danze® Brandywood™ Robe Hook - Chrome
Modern Bathroom