CA Pack Trials

goblugal(7)March 30, 2005

Anyone going to the California Pack Trials next week besides perennial princess and me? Will be visiting 30+ seed and plant breeders over the week, taking a look at all of the 05/06 new introductions. Would be interested in sharing impressions of the trials (the term is used very loosely any more).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Grdngod(z9 CA)

I'm off to the pack trials tomorrow (Sat 4/9) We can chat after that!

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 11:01PM
perennialprincess(z4 MN)

so . . . what did you see that you liked? Seemed to be more new varieties at EuroAmerican than anywhere else. any favorites?

good to meet you Jenny! I'm sure we'll see each at the short course
PP

Bookmark   April 16, 2005 at 10:21PM
goblugal(7)

PP - great to meet you too! What a busy week it was. Overall, seemed to be a pretty slow year for new intros except for PW and Pan Am...which is fine! My personal favorites this year were the Fantastic Flower program from PAS - especially the Angelonia Serena. Gee, a really nice Angelonia from seed - what a great thing! Also quite fond of the Color Grass program from Kieft - nice selection of grasses, good seed quality. Nice "fillers" for combos.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 6:09AM
perennialprincess(z4 MN)

Jenny: here I am on break at work, and halfway through my slides. I also liked those Angelonia from Pan American, as well as that Helenium Dakota Gold - I had a tour from the breeder, Kristen Ludwig, she was so enthusiastic about her stuff. Also, liked the two new colors in Easy Wave. And, more millets. Lord knows we need more ornamental millets.

I loved those new Oxalis at PW - the Charmed series - very cool foliage. And, wasn't it interesting that they changed the Gold Key plant from the Stachys to the Leuchanthemum Broadway Lights after the pack trials. I guess everyone was drooling over it. They had it listed as zone 5 hardy - would like to test it here in zone 4 to see if it overwinters. Heck, if we can overwinter L. Becky, I suspect this one might work as well. I also liked those more upright Sunsatia Nemesias from PW.

Even though it wasn't a huge year for new intros, it was plenty for me to absorb!

see you in Ohio! PP

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™