wandering jew help

obxgirl(zone 8)February 6, 2010

I rescued a pore little wandering jew starter from a girl at work that was letting it rot !!!! The water was all dirty and there were 4 pieces trying to grow roots in that nastiness. I told her I would take it home and clean it up a bit to see if i can get it to grow. Well.....I got home and noticed 2 of the 4 stems were gone. They were too rotten to start anything so I cleaned the other 2 stems remaining and put them in a hurricane glass with water just to see what they would do. Well, they started rooting and putting out tiny beautiful purple and green leaves. So I put the 2 starter stems in soil.My question is I do not want this plant now in soil to become "leggy" and "stemmy" . So do i pluck a few of new growth and put it down in the soil with the 2 stems that are currently growing? Will they be ok? I want my wandering jew to be bushy!!!! Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

IN ORDER FOR THE CUTTINGS TO ROOT THE SOIL WILL NEED TO BE DAMP NOT WET.... THIS SOIL CONDITION IF NOT CAREFULLY CONTROLED MAY RESULT IN THE ROTTING OF THE EXISTING PLANTS...
PLANTS IN "good" LIGHT WILL NATURALLY BE COMPACT... IF IN SHADE THEY WILL BECOME LEGGY.....

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 9:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluelake(8)

I can't get rid or it, sun or shade.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™