Crepe/Crape? Myrtle Propagation Help with Setup

Robins1stGarden(7)February 24, 2014

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of their crepe myrtle cuttings being propagated. Last year I took about 10 cuttings and was only able to get 2 of them to root (they are in the ground now so I'm not sure if they made it through the winter or not). I wanted to improve on last years try, so was hoping someone here could possibly show me some pics of your setup so I can do better than last year.

Here is what I did last time:
1-10 Cuttings (cut at a node) off of new growth, about 6 inches each.
2-Took off all leaves except for the top 2.
3-dipped the cut end in rooting hormone
4-put in pot with sand/potting soil mix
5-watered
6-covered with a quart size freezer bag for green house effect.
7-placed in south facing window
8-waited....and waited....and waited....

Any help here? I would really appreciate it. I'd like to get a handle on it before the new growth starts in a few months.

Since then, i've purchased a 5 x 4 x 2 mini greenhouse and also have a 4'L grow light now so if these items will be helpful to use, i can do that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

Take cuttings of firm new growth apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & misttakes 21-100 days to root.
covering the cuttings promotes fungal growth. put in a low light with good circulation but not in draft.
may also use root cuttings, seed also very useful.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:29PM
bluegirl_gw

I've used to strike a lot of crepe myrtles & had good luck with both spring & fall slips.

Rooted under a simple mister ("porch cooler" from Lowe's) in full sun.

I treated them like rose cuttings--slightly wounding through the bark on the bottom 1" or so, used a coarse media of blasting sand #3 & coir.

Perhaps the biggest difference is I always used a strong commercial hormone--Rhizopon #3--.8% IBA. It makes a big improvement for me when I try to root woody plants like roses & crepe myrtles. Hope this is useful.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 6:33PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Dirr's recommendations for rooting crApe myrtle cuttings closely match Yiorges's instructions. Dirr recommends taking the cuttings in June, July, or August to maximize take-rate and minimize over-wintering problems.

When not growing cuttings under mist, I usually cover (like you mentioned) my cuttings to conserve moisture, but (related to Yiorges's comments) I do leave the cover slightly ajar to allow some air circulation.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™