Giving a discount for cash payment

sebben(7 NY)March 1, 2005

I have a small landscape design/build company here in Brooklyn NY. I am in my second year of business and finally getting to the business part of things. My question is, how do I determine what type of discount to give for cahs payment? Most of my projects are in the $4k- $15k price range. I have 3 parttime employees whic I use as needed. I know that I pay about $9.50 per $100 of salary to workers comp. I also have liability insurance, storage space, car etc as expenses. Is there a reliabale formula to compute what type of discount I can give for cash? I know that I will save on WC etc. If I pay the workers cash on cash jobs but what else do I need to know to decide if maybe 5% off for a cash payment will work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shag(z4 MT)

Sounds to me like you're getting into dangerous waters (read: illegal/unethical) by paying your workers cash when clients pay you cash -- doing that to "save on WC" Don't get caught. Better yet, don't do it. I do not give referrals to landscape installation companies who are not paying WC and not running their businesses legitimately.

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 11:29AM
GreenieBeanie(z9CA)

Whatever discount you offer, whatever you save in WC, is not worth the ultimate personal cost to you should one of your employees get hurt on the job.

And for God's sake, don't let your WC Insurance provider find out you're doing this!

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 5:43PM
patrick3852(z5 MI)

I got injured working for a company that was not paying WC. I had to have surgery on my knee and had to pay out of pocket for it. I was out of work for 3 months, which I also had to pay for. I sued the company and turned them into WC. I easily won the case. The $25,000.00 plus it cost them was hardly worth the small cost off paying Workmens Comp's annual fees, which for that business was about $2300.00 annualy for their entire staff of about 20 people. It is Illegal and can easily sink your ship. If someone gets injured on the job and you don't have WC or insurance, they will sue your client. How many jobs do you think you will get if that happens. Word of mouth works...

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 10:13AM
veronicastrum(z5 IL)

If you're really thinking of foregoing WC, please re-read Patrick's post and ask yourself where you would get the $25,000. It's amazing how quickly what appears to be a minor injury can turn into major dollars.

Most people who offer discounts for cash do so based on the time value of money. The idea is that it's better to have $1.00 in hand today than to have that same $1.00 in thirty days. Most businesses offer 2% or 5%. The higher percent was more common when interest rates in general were higher.

V.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 12:41PM
MountainLandscaper(7)

This guy has posted questions on other green industry forums.They are all about cheating on his taxes for his business and hiding cash pmnts.OR hireing under the table....He's pretty much gotten the same response as here.I think he probably works for the IRS.Oh is just a real screwball. Don't waist your breath on him.

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Larson
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™