Bell peppers- are they also perennials?

noamsmom(Israel)July 10, 2007

I know they're not strictly *hot* peppers, but I thought I might get more answers here than on the veggie forum. We only rarely get frost here, and I understand hot peppers can be treated as /are perennials. Is it possible to overwinter bell peppers outside and have viable peppers next year as well?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fiedlermeister(04/05)

All peppers are perennials. I have not tried overwintering bells but I don't see why not.

john

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 11:18AM
jonv

well im in omaha and the winter gets pretty damn cold....im new to gardening, and maybe this is a bone head question. what is over winter?....or what do i have to do to the plants?

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 4:27PM
newcity

Bring them inside! :)

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 6:22PM
willardb3

Well, John F and I are waaaayyyyy north of Omaha and we both overwinter chiles inside with success.

Grow the chile in a pot during the summer and when cold weather comes, prune the plant back and bring it inside the house. Keep it warm and give it as much light as you can.

The chile will flower and fruit much earlier next summer.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 8:10PM
jonv

LOL.......i thought you all meant i could leave the plants outside!!!.....hahaha i thought there is no way these suckers will make it through the winter no matter what i do to em

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 12:32AM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

The original poster lives in Israel and ,perhaps does not have to deal with frost.

Johnf

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 7:54AM
fromtobago

Hi all
Tropically speaking,I find bell peppers to be very difficult to grow on past the 6 month period. I like to consider them annuals because even if they press on past 6 mts, they look miserable and fruit size and quality diminish rapidly. Pruning only gives a little extension on life span. I suggest anyone trying to grow bell peppers as a perennial use an open pollinated variety. The hybrids produce heavily early and then are spent and deteriorate very quickly after that.They also seem to genetically self destruct.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 8:45AM
shelbyguy(z5 IL)

while not a bell pepper, i have successfully over-wintered carmen, which is a sweet bull's horn variety. gypsy is another sweet non-bell to consider.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 12:15PM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

I have an orange Bell Pepper on my South-facing enclosed-porch that has blooms/peppers all over it. I brought it in last fall before a frost because it had a dozen peppers on it which all ripened. After we harvested them, I just let it be and was surprised when it suddenly began to put out huge blooms and now has numerous peppers. It has a tomato plant next to it that I brought in...we have collected a half dozen tomatoes in the last 2 weeks or so. I'm really pushing my hubby for a greenhouse!

Peggy

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Failed Germination: Anyone have spare seeds they'd like to spare?
Hey everyone. First time being on here since last season,...
tom1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™