Tree collards cuttings

Maxim1122February 28, 2014

Hello!
I live in Israel and I do visit the USA once in a while. My next visit is in May, and I can't find tree collards anywhere in Israel. So I saw this website that sells tree collards cuttings, and I was wondering how long would the cuttings stay alive? I can order them on the last day and keep them in damp paper towels on the plane. Now the question is, will they stay alive for 10 hours of flight plus some more time until I get home and plant the cuttings? I want to know if it's worth spending 20$ on...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I don't think you'll have any problem keeping the cuttings alive on the flight. As long as they don't dry out, they should be fine. I wonder if you've considered the necessary PPIS permit though.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 6:57PM
Maxim1122

I think I won't have any problems with the PPIS. But is there anything special I should do to keep them alive longer other than keeping them between two damp paper towels?

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 8:52AM
charlieboring

No, the only thing you need to do is to place them between damp paper towels in a sealable plastic bag. They will stay alive for an extended period of time unless frozen or cooked by the heat.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 12:50PM
nandina(8b)

Maxim, I have used the following method for years when transporting or shipping cuttings. I insert each cutting in a single white grape, then wrap each at the base with a wet paper towel then secure all in a plastic bag. Works well.

In your situation it would be best to check before hand to see if Customs will clear grapes coming into your country. Agricultural laws vary widely.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 8:45PM
Maxim1122

Thanks CharlieBoring.
nandina, what do you mean insert each cutting into a white grape?

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 1:47PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Personally, I'd let the ends seal up (dry out a bit) to avoid rot. I'd want the cuttings to retain moisture, but would not want the ends moist.

With woody plants, it's not unusual for people to wrap cuttings in a moist paper towel (or other moist medium) while leaving the very ends exposed.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™