Rooting by misting

ginger1029(7)February 13, 2008

Can someone explain this technique to me? I am interested in rooting a winter jasmine..among other plants. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

If the cutting has leaves then misting is used to help prevent dehydration..... The application of a rooting hormone will speed up the rooting process & therefore reduce the chances of dehydration. Therefore both rooting hormone & misting will greatly reduce the chances of falure

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 5:28PM
ginger1029(7)

Thanks..but I am still not quite sure how the entire process is carried out.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 7:59AM
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Cuttings are placed under a mist system that intermittently sprays the cuttings. This decreases evapotranspiration and increase rooting percentages. The home gardener can get the same effect by placing pots with cuttings in a plastic bag. Keep the bags out of direct sunlight to prevent "cooking" them.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 8:11PM
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

I think the OP is imagining that the roots are exposed and are sprayed with a mist.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 11:05PM
georgez5il(z5 IL)

once a cutting is prepared & the rooting hormone is applied then...... it is stuck in a well drained soil mix. the mist is applied to the leaves several times a day.. can be a eleberate set up or simpley a old windex bottle used to spray water. a warm soil 65-70F also speeds up the rooting process...... roots will form in the soil & once that is done can stop misting the cuttings.
Reamber the plant can only get water through its roots & not through the leaf or stem.....

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 10:00AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

ginger, have you been at the produce section of the supermarket when the misting happens? Rooting with misting is rather like that. Take the cutting. Apply appropriate auxins. Put the treated end of the cutting in a rooting medium. Set the whole arrangement under the misting device. Wait and watch, the idea being that the waiting and watching time will be shortened.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 11:03AM
dirtbert(z4)

There is also a technique of misting the root zone of a cutting as well (no soil). I have an ez cloner machine and that is how it works. The cutting is suspended over a misting system preventing the cutting from drying out. Once roots developed then the cutting can be potted up.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™