Pesky critters in the greenhouse

adrianag(AL z7)March 20, 2005

Does any of you have any suggestions for getting rid of mice in the greenhouse. I have already killed 4 but there is still at least one continuing to cause damage week after week. I have tried:

- Humanitarian traps baited with peanut butter on crackers - zero results

- Electronic replellers - No results

- Commercial Mouse/rat poison in paper packages - last year it worked, this year they have not nibbled them at all

- Traps with peanut butter - worked initially, that's how I caught the first 4, but the last one must be too smart. Plus, the ants in the greenhouse have developed a taste for peanut butter and they carry it off before the mice come out at night.

- Traps with bubble gum - at the suggestion of another greenhouse grower I tried this - no results and more damage.

Any suggestions? It is not wise to put a cat in the greenhouse.

Another friend want suggestions for dealing with frogs in his hydroponic greenhouse. Any syuggestions would be greatly appreciated. He is growing edibles so the problem is serious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigred(z8 Ark.)

Boy can I relate. The only way I've been able to control them is to find their nest and destory it.So far I'm lucky this year and have found no mice. Maybe they got the hint.

PP

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 9:08AM
DonFenwick(4b Ont Canada)

I am wondering why it is not wise to put a cat in the greenhouse. Every greenhouse I know has cats. We have 3 or 4, depending on the appetites of the local owls and fischers, but never any mice.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 6:54PM
adrianag(AL z7)

Don,
I am growing edibles in open perlite beds so introducing cats is not a great idea. There is the health and hygiene issue (think "dig-dig") and then there's the damage caused by a cat chasing a mouse across the growing bed.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 7:40PM
WallFlowers

Don,
I actually have a cat climb up the out side of our largest g/h. poking lots of wholes on the way. I was not a happy camper.

Adriana,
If the problem is that serious call a professional. You never know you might even find one with experiance with mice/gh problems.
It's worth a shot.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 12:41PM
froggy(z4/5 WI)

one part to manage mice, make sure they arnt easily coming from the outdoors. keep the area around ur houses short and clean. dont let an oldfield give u endless supply. make sure there are no openings, that expanding foam stuff is good for closing mini areas.
i would think the same would go with my bretherin, the frogs, tho ull find me in the greenhouse alot. sometimes u cant get me out either.

froggy (the hydroponic less frog)

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Inventory
I have been selling plants that I grow for a long time...
angfull
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™