lost patience tried a green ghost

andyandy(6bMI)July 22, 2014

I finally lost patience yesterday and picked one of my ghosts (and one of my reapers). I have ghosts, 2 differnt Habs, a reaper, bananas, and a cayenne. All still green. The ghost was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!. hotter than the Reaper. i can't wait to see what they're like when ripe. I'n not sure weather to read anything into it being hotter than the reaper. I guess we'll find out then they actually ripen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flipback23(9 SF Bay)

I did the same thing last year and there was a world of difference between a green super hot and a ripe red one for me anyways. The red was much hotter as it should be. So like you said dont read to much into the difference right now.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:39AM
peppernovice

Isn't it scary to know they WILL get hotter!

Tim

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:47AM
andyandy(6bMI)

Yep, cant wait. I'm going to have more peppers than i know what to do with. I usually dry them and grinf them into powder.I may just keep 1/2 dehydrated and grind up the rest. I don't really know anyone that can handle them. Habs are about as hot as any of my friends can take

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:05PM
tomt226

Andyandy,
Here's something to do with your ghosts and habs:
Xnipec Sauce

⢠5 green onions, chopped (scallions)
⢠1 garlic clove, skins removed and chopped
⢠1/2 cup Goya bitter orange juice (substitute lime if necessary)
⢠1 Habanero chile
⢠1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
⢠Salt to taste
Preparation:
Finely dice the green onions (scallions) and garlic and pour the bitter orange juice over them. Roast the Habanero chile over fire (or in a broiler or on a hot comal) until the skin becomes charred. You may want to put on a pair of gloves to protect your skin from the Habanero at this point. Slice the charred Habanero in half, cut off the stem and scrape out the seeds. Finely slice the remaining Habanero and add into the green onion mixture. Remove as many cilantro leaves as possible and chop them up. Toss them together with the green onion mixture and add a few sprinkles of salt while doing so. Let the mixture marinate at room temperature for about an hour before serving.

If using Numex Suave habaneros, roast two. Use two teaspoons of Ghost pepper puree for heat.

You can also put the garlic, habanero(s) and bitter orange juice in a blender and puree, and then add the scallions and cilantro and pulse until chopped.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 6:02AM
plantsman56

I food that my first year, especially because I only grew floats the first year, and I heard that in that part of India, that eat them green anyway. That isn't all that unusual, we all eat immature jalapenos all the time. I also figured they might not be all that hot since there is that lady who are 50+ ghost peppers in one sitting. It WAS super hot mine tasted like those small snap beans when you pick them real early. I thought it was may tasting and nothing like a pepper taste.
Don't worry, it won't be long now till your pods start turning color. Sometimes this can be the longest 2 months of the year!

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
How To Support Pepper Plants
Those who grow tomatoes know it that supporting the...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Cotton bugs (?) with pictures.
I planted a jolokia back in October from a seed. It...
Anthony Pomerinke
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™