Hot peppers are not hot??

trsinc(8 TX)July 25, 2006

I know that sometimes peppers will be milder than others, but this year they might as well be bells. I'm growing Jalapeno, Serrano, and Chile Petin. Not a hot one in the bunch!! They are very healthy and producing like crazy though.

Does anyone know of a trick to make them hotter? Like more or less nitrogen, or something of that sort?

Thanks,

tr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thaumaturge

Genetics, which at this point you can't do any thing about. And letting them get fully ripe helps. Other than that I don't know. I've heard that stressing the plants can make them hotter, but I've never heard any hard facts about it.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 10:18AM
byron(4a/5b NH)

Excess nitrogen can "cool them"

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 9:17PM
greenlac

Sulfur in the form of epsom salts is often recommended, especially dissolved in water and sprayed on the foliage every couple of weeks. Also, keeping the plants dryer or warming the plants up is supposed to help.

Contrary to the general rule I've heard, I've found serranos to be somewhat milder and sweeter when fully ripe.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 10:52PM
trsinc(8 TX)

Thanks everybody.

Well, I know they don't have too much nitrogen and the plants are plenty warm. Last week we got up to 106 degrees! I haven't been watering them a lot, but I'm going to see if stressing them helps along with the epsom salts.

Maybe I've just burned the heat sensors off of my tongue? lol

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 10:29AM
macmanmatty2(8b)

All of my peppers turned out mild this year too. I grew habs that tasted like bells and almost all of my others turned out sweet tasting. Don't know waht it could be.

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 3:32PM
danial

Add epson salt to the ground, stress them out, try not watering foliage just the ground.let mother nature water foliage. Jalapeno and Serranos fully ripe take on a softer flesh and a sweater taste but still should have a burn. Growing for 35 years
bowhunter

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 6:58PM
augieopfell(9 Rancho Mirage)

Michael Bailes the Austalian author of "The Fragrant Chilli" claims that adding a little detergent to the water will make peppers hotter.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 7:10PM
warpath(NY State)

Keep in mind that chiles cross-pollinate freely. This is why you may often have chiles from the same plant with varying degrees of hotness.

I had a buddy of mine give me a bag of habaneros...'cuz he said that they were WAY too hot. Got them home and asked one of our sons if he'd like to try a really hot pepper...cut him off a piece and he chewed on it. He said "Not hot at all...nice flavor but definately not hot". So I cut a piece from another pepper...he tried it...same reaction. I tried a piece, no hottness at all.
So the next day, I chopped up a bunch of 'em to add to my eggs...HOLY MOLEY! Good God...get me some milk, now!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 2:54AM
trsinc(8 TX)

lol! I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 11:14AM
rakers_hippopress_com

I am growing a Ghost Pepper plant, supposed to be the hottest pepper you can grow. We picked one a little prematurely, it was still green. But it wasn't even remotely hot. I don't get it. I figured the hottest pepper you can grow should at least have a little sting to it.

HELP!

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Garden Prep - Necessary?
Hi All, I was allocated this space at my in-laws house...
salevene
Pepper Plant issue
I have some curling and deformation on some of my pepper...
Ryan Shea
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Poblano question
I live in central oklahoma. I garden in well amended...
scottcalv
best flavored of the "super hots"
I am sort of reluctant to use the words "super...
robeb_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™