Fallen Pussy Willow Cuttings

bb16February 16, 2013

Our pussy willow fell over during Nemo. The catkins were just coming out so we took some to the florist who said our variety had a nice branching structure. It was propagated from a log and so grew largely tripartite. We've already cut up two of them into 4-foot sections but the third is intact, maybe 40 feet.

We have a good amount of space behind the house with well drained soil so would be interested in trying different methods.

Does anyone have recommendations on what sizes would be worth planting and how we should go about it, with the goal of producing catkins en masse?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

What does "so grew largely tripartite" mean in this case?

Are you thinking of propagating more trees from truncheons or are you asking about traditional cuttings that you would take from side branches?

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bb16

Thanks for the reply, brandon7. A 3-foot-section sprouted and we trimmed all but three, which all then grew into trees.

We could do anything from small traditional cuttings to trying to replant the large intact tree if it could last til spring (another snow storm on the way tomorrow). Whatever would produce the most catkins next year and into the future.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™