Sage cutting ?

rane_grow(7 soMD)February 24, 2011

Hi everyone , I was lucky enough to be given 2 sage cuttings, everything I have searched on GW mentions pineapple sage and I don't think this is pineapple sage ... how do I get these cuttings to root ? I trimmed the ends at an angle and put them in water temporarily until I find out what I should do . Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated .

Iris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I presume you have softwood or terminal cuttings. Leave a leaf or two if leaves are small, if large cut them in half. Start in a container of a loose well draining mix, mostly perlite works. Dip the cut surface in a weak hormone powder and insert into the mix. Cover the container with a clear plastic cover supported to keep off the plant, to maintain the humidity. Set the container in a container of water for a short time to hydrate the mix. Keep the container in normal house temperatures, around 70 degrees. Every couple of days you will need to remove the plastic turn it inside out to remove excess moisture and give the cutting a little fresh air. Put the plastic right back on. In two to four weeks it should start growing roots. If you can leave the plastic off for 30 minutes without wilting the cutting should have roots. Al

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolj(7b/8a)

rane grow 7, did the sage root?

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:10AM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™