propagating jasmine

gaiaso(zone7 VA)February 11, 2008

July, 2007 I took some Jasmine cuttings from Berkeley, California, those sweet-smelling lovely light pink evergreen ones that were the essence of California for me. I brought them back to Virginia, where I now reside. They have rooted, I checked, but there has been NO NEW GROWTH!!! It's February 11, 2008 now. Almost all of the original leaves are still there. Not a single nub of anything that looks like it could turn into new growth.

What can I do? Suggestions, please. Thank you, Gaia so

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

a LIGHT application of fertilizer & longer day light hours will kick start the growth cycle. do not give up it will happen.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 9:22AM
susanna_2008(9-10)

where exactling do i take the cuttings? should they include a little of the harder, woodlike stems, or do i cut higher where the stems are green and soft? any tips would be appreciated. thank you.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 3:49AM
gaiaso(zone7 VA)

Well, I have a pair of nubs happening now on the upper part of one of my cuttings. It is the one that was the woodiest of all. The nubs occurred just above a node. Duh!

The softer tips root also, but I haven't seen any new growth in those yet. From my meager experience, I would say go for the woodier cuttings. And make sure you get some of the "leaf joints" which I think are called nodes.

Incidentally, I did use a rooting stimulator made of indole 3-butyric acid. I am pretty inexperienced in plant piracy. There might be something better, but it worked.

Good luck! What kind of jasmine are you starting?

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 7:46AM
kat58(8)

I would give it some time, some plants take at least a year to fully propagate. Last year I purchased two different types of Jasmine, one is the skinnier vine with smaller leaves. That one had grown like crazy with tons of flowers but the other one has only grown a little bit with no flowers yet. Hopefully by next year it will take off.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 10:26PM
gaiaso(zone7 VA)

A week or so ago I noticed a new shoot at the joint (on the one that has joints). It's still tiny point of less than a half inch but it looks like a very complex lace of eentsy, eentsy little green leaves.

It's been raining and darkish. Can't wait to see what some sun will do. The other 2 cuttings, which were basically vine tips, are still green and healthy looking, but no sign of anything more there.

Any recommendations on fertilizers? Sometimes I use the blue stuff, sometimes fish emulsion. The plants are outside in the elements now, since nights are in the 50s

I sure do appreciate the encouragement. I'm just really beginning to experiment with woody rooting-type propagation. My first project was brown turkey figs, and I have 4 little trees still in pots... out of maybe 17.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™