Plumeria

a1chemyst(7-Georgia)February 25, 2010

in case you didnt know its the same kind of plants that makes the flowers on hawaiin 'leis'. Looks pretty easy to prob, just cut a branch and stick in sand water thoroughly every week or so right? can it root in water? And is it like a bush thing??? i assume by 'branches' it would be a tree or bush. Uhm dont know much about it. I assume it needs pretty decent light and can sustain itself in sand without actual SOIL just the pourous sand like on the beach? Please dont ignore any questions :) id prefer you to at least give your opinion on them :) thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

its a small decidious small tree. branches have a milky ssap.... requires a warm temp it hates the cold.... filtered light & loam soil... run on the dry side.
Propagation:: take a hard wood cutting apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist... takes 500 to 100 days to root.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 10:30AM
a1chemyst(7-Georgia)

Erm MIST??? or WATER... and loam soil? im a person of simple vocabularys

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 5:55PM
yiorges-z5il

mist use a old windex btl & spary water on the leaf to increase humidity.........Loam (GOOD garden soil) is a soil with a high % organic material (compost, peat moss etc....) NOT SAND

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 9:00AM
gazel(5)

aren't you are suppose to use grit mix???

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:32PM
calistoga_al

They will rot in the cool part of the year when they are not growing. The roots must be kept dry. or nearly dry during this period or they will rot. When the temp warms and they can be put outside, new growth will start and they will appreciate both water and fertilizer. Al

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:45AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Plumeria root the best in Spring. The technique would be similar to rooting a cactus pad.

Callus cuttings for a week or two. Use rooting powder. Put in well-draining soil that has been premoistened. I use plastic containers so you can see roots when they develop.

DO NOT WATER until you see leaves developing (or roots) -- leaves should be at least 4" in length. You can mist occasionally. If soil it completely dry, you can carefully water a bit around the perimeter of the pot. Basically the soil should be 'humid', but not wet. If you are rooting outdoors and have high humidity and warm temps, you do not need to water.

Bottom heat or consistent temps of between 80 and 90 degrees will improve success. Some varieties will root in winter with bottom heat. Others are even difficult to root in Spring.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:29PM
ange2006

If plumeria roots best in spring, is there a way to keep the cuttings I got recently until spring before putting them in soil?

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 8:37PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

There is a forum just for Plumeria here. I got a couple cuttings about a month ago. They are doing well, starting to grow a bit again. I just stuck them in the pot of an existing plant. In the spring, I'll give them a more permanent arrangement.

This is the bigger one a few days ago. Good luck to everyone!

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™