Growing Nuts In Containers

MizMelody2001April 12, 2013

I live in Oklahoma, in zone 7, where I am renting a small house with a small yard. In an effort to save money and eat healthier, I am growing various berry bushes and dwarf fruit trees in large plastic tubs. I hope to buy land in the future, but it may be many years before it is affordable. I would like to grow hazelnuts (Dorris and Yamhill) and Almonds (All in One) in large containers (that aren't too big to move when we need to) but I am not sure that this is doable long term. I would like to ask the more experienced gardeners for their advice. Also, would the Dorris and Yamhill cultivars successfully cross pollinate so that they would both produce nuts? I am also interested in obtaining a couple of the dwarf bush Carpathian walnut trees that Garfield Shults reportedly has for sale, but I have not be able to contact him or anyone else who may have them for sale. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I find it difficult to rustle up enthusiasm for this project. I strongly suggest that you devote your container growing to the vast number of veggies that do so well within the constraints of a container. Woody plants.....not so much, especially nut trees.....especially not for ' many' years.

Check out the Container Forum for advice.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™