Comparing MLA Programs

jaquiringApril 9, 2014

I'm not sure which forum to post this under, but I figured this one would get many views by Landscape Architects.

I was recently accepted into the MLA programs of both Cal Poly Pomona and University of Southern California. Pomona has a long-standing program and is regularly ranked highly by the Design Institute. USC on the other hand has a fairly new program, but it's architecture school is one of the best in the US. USC also tends to have more money to develop their programs for future improvements and growth.

Does anyone have any information on these programs?

I know the schools' costs are very different, but what other major differences do the schools have?

How important is "the name" on a diploma for the MLA program? Which school has the better name in the LA industry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You'll need to quiz the local market to find the answers to your question. Also the placement departments of each program should have some interesting information.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:51PM
marcinde(7)

the name depends what you want to do. I recently hired an MLA grad (we do landscape design and consulting, so we're not a landscape architecture firm) and I don't recall where she graduated from. Don't care. All I know is most portfolios I got from MLA grads really sucked and hers caught my attention.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:58PM
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)(10)

UCLA's program is the equivalent of a masters, but not an actual MA. Instead, its accredited by the state licensing board for landscape architecture. It's program is three years, not four.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Larson
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Plant photography
I recently ran into this issue on a lilac site. Plants...
Sherwood Botsford
Northern Greenhouse Folks - Favorite plants?
Hello from Vermont. I used to visit this forum often...
palmandan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™