Is What You Say You're Selling REALLY What You're Selling?

gardengumApril 24, 2012

I bought some grapevine cuttings recently, different varieties, and was thinking "why couldn't I grow grapevines and sell them?" I can of course. But I'm a newbie so,,,

I noticed many gravevine cuttings look exactly the same.

How can I be sure the "concord grapevine" I got was really a "concord"? Is there a way to verify this? Some sort of test? Can I send it somewhere for testing?

My initial thought is "buy from a reputable dealer" but that isn't good enough, they could have gotten the shipping mixed up, it's easy to make mistakes, or they could never have verified the vine.

I would hate to sell a bunch of "concord grapevines" just to find out down the road they weren't really concords at all.

Grapes are just one example. I also recently purchased willow cuttings http://gardengum.com/u/90 and they can get confusing to keep track of the types and, How can i be sure they are the type i think they are?

Thanks Much

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

All you can do with the grapes is wait until they fruit. Likewise, with the willows you have to wait until they have developed to a point where characteristic features are presented, if you cannot tell them apart yourself at the stage they are at now.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengum

thanks bboy:

so you are saying that you visually inspect them for known characteristics?

is there a better way? that seems like it could get subjective with "taste" or "color" etc.

And what about a blueberry bush I have that I know nothing about other than it's a blueberry bush given to me?

I should find a list of all known cultivars of blueberries characteristics (i'm presuming this would be very long) and start going down the list doing my best guesses or just sell it as a "blueberry bush unknown" or something else?

thanks

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™