Ornamentals continued

kentishmanJuly 28, 2014

Here are Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentishman

And here's Biquinho Iracema. Interesting pod shape.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:16AM
esox07

subscribed

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:22AM
Siouxzn(7)

ooooo, the Biquinho Iracema look really interesting. What vendor did you get your seeds?

I am also growing bolivian rainbow and newmex Twilight, as well as Black Pearl. Love the colors!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 1:49PM
kentishman

My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 3:23PM
esox07

Siouxzn: Can you post some pictures of the Bolivian Rainbow and Twilight you have growing. I would like to see the difference between them. I am sure they are different varieties but I see a lot of people that call the Twilight a Bolivian Rainbow. I just want to know exactly what the difference is.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:45PM
kentishman

Bruce, I'm not sure if I've got true Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight, but that's how they came to me. They are definitely different peppers. As you can see in the first picture at the beginning of this thread, the plant on the left has purple flowers, and the one on the right has white flowers. Doesn't that mean they're different species?

Tom

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:11PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Here's my Numex Twilight

Purple Flash

Black Pearl

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:43PM
kentishman

Drew, I like the Purple Flash. Beautiful foliage!

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:57PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I'm growing fish too, the foliage and fruit before ripe are nice looking too. A little more useful pepper too. I dry the ornamentals and use them to up the heat if need be in a dish.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 5:03PM
kentishman

I've got two Fish Peppers. One has excellent leaf variegation, similar to yours, the other has far less variegation, but it's way ahead in pod production. I was wondering if the really nicely variegated plants aren't such heavy producers. Also, do you have any suggestions/recipes for using Fish peppers.

Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:21PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?"

It is two. I do use a cold frame in the spring. See if I have another photo...

Here are some of my peppers. On the left, tomatoes on the right. the smaller ones are the more tropical hots that need heat. We had a cool spring, so they are smaller. Part of the reason for growing is to see what works. Aji lemon seems to grow well here (first on left, and also behind that one is a 2nd plant). Also The starfish works well here.
I have peppers all over in pots, in ground, all over! maybe 20 plants this year. Next year I'm going to focus more on mild peppers, see what works. Also peppers for paprika. I might overwinter some hots, but no new starts next year. I'll have enough dried to last at least 2 years.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:36PM
kentishman

Drew, Your pepper growing is tracking along with mine: I'm laying off the superhots and growing more mild ones that are useful for cooking. Also, next year I'd like to try some paprika varieties. There was a thread on here a while back that mentioned several of them. If anyone reading this has any paprika varieties, I'll be interested in doing some trading.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 6:20AM
Siouxzn(7)

"My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested."

I am very interested! I will post all the seeds I have towards the end of the season (I have some now but it is mostly the Christmas pepper) and would be more than happy to exchange!

Exo, I will post some photos when I get home from my business trip (I get home Thursday evening). Mine are still quite small but I will take some photos of all the ornamentals I have. I also have some varieties from the new mexico institute (easter and christmas peppers etc) I am also saving those seeds.

I have a garda fireworks and numex centenial that are still very very small. I plan on bagging the blooms of those once I get my order of organza bags in from Amazon.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:24AM
Siouxzn(7)

Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated? I am noticing on mine that the variegation is evident on the pods as well. I will take a photo when I get home but be warned that the plant is still small as I had a later season and some were initially stunted.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:28AM
esox07

Yes, fish pepper pods should be verigated as well. Mine showed more variegation as the plant matured.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:32AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

."Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated?"

Yes, but turn all red when ripe. Two have ripened.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:35AM
Siouxzn(7)

Ok, I am back at home. This photo is the twilight (it is still very small)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:49AM
Siouxzn(7)

And the Bolivian Rainbow...also still small (I started both of these late)

I have three of these growing and all look the same with purple pods. Now I am wondering if they are indeed bolivian rainbows. I also have the purple flash and the Black Pearl and they are all definitely different than those, so I am not sure what I have.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:58AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Pimenta de Neyde is an interesting pepper. Beautiful plant.

It has yet to fruit, but has a number of flowers

A description from Trade Winds....

Pimenta de Neyde Pepper - (Capsicum x) An extremely rare pepper
originally from Brazil with dark purple fruits and beautiful, colored
foliage. The hot fruits grow to a couple of inches and remain dark
purple-almost black for much of their ripening period. When ripe,
fruits change color subtly, with a neon purple tint. A gorgeous plant
to grow, with spicy edible fruits! Believed to be a cross between C.
annuum and chinense

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:30AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Duplicate deleted.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:52

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:51AM
kentishman

Drew, Do these grow true from seed? If so and you save seed, I'd love to get a few.

Tom

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:59AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Yes, I think they are open pollinated. Sure, not a problem.
It looked in trouble, but just kept getting bigger and bigger. It survived a cool spring, and still grew bigger than most of my peppers. But most of my peppers have fruit, so a little late producing. Maybe because it stalled in the spring? Still plenty of time to produce. Pods are forming. I got it from trade winds, but they no longer have it listed. For sure we need to spread this around.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:38PM
Siouxzn(7)

I would love a few as well (if you have any to spare). If you see any on my trade list you would like let me know!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:06PM
kentishman

Thanks Drew. I'll send you an email.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:41PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Email me yeah, trade list etc, if you have one no big deal. . I may not want anything,but will send seeds along anyways. many people send me free seeds, so you just have to send free seeds to somebody else.
Well all I have is original seeds for know. Not sure how many? We are counting our eggs before they hatch. it should produce plenty of seed for anybody who wants some, just email me so i remember. Hey leaving for a week, and questions I will answer when i get back...

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:59PM
Siouxzn(7)

Christmas Pepper (I have a TON of these seeds, and it is a really pretty ornamental)

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:50AM
Siouxzn(7)

Garda Fireworks

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:52AM
Siouxzn(7)

And.. the Easter pepper. These seeds came from the New Mexico pepper institute.

This one, like most of my ornamentals got a very late start and is still quite small.

Also, Since I am only home on weekends my poor plants have been suffering. :(

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:55AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Soosie*, way to go!

Please consider contributing seeds to the upcoming mass swaps. I see a couple I want for next year.

Dennis

* "Hah? You're Jewish? Love your nails!"
- with apologies to Uncle Frank - 10 points for identifying the song. (It actually got air play!)

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:27PM
Siouxzn(7)

Of course! I am saving all I can!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™