frozen annuals

daisy__3(z3MN)April 10, 2007

Help....my greenhouse furnace went out a few days ago and most of my annuals turned black...but the roots still look very good..is there any chance that I might be able to revive them?? I trimed off all rotted foilage on the tops but roots still lookin good.....I think this is my last year in the greenhouse .......has this happened to anyone and with what results??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

I thought someone with acres of experience might jump in to help a fellow out daisy but you did the right thing and they will come back. In fact, they may even be better for it.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 5:36PM
daisy__3(z3MN)

Thanks Inkognito, I needed to hear that!! A few have tiny green leaves starting to appear this morning.... So life might be good again...daisy

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 10:58AM
farmerfields

Be patient and not too discouraged! Make sure you do not overwater since most transpiration has almost stopped. It is temporary...just use good housekeeping sense to keep sanitation levels and circulation high so you don't encourage root-rot and foliar fungus problems.
Remove loose foliage, water sparingly when necessary, perhaps use a fungicide as a precaution(especially for varieties that are highly susceptable).
Do not over fertilize, particularly if you have slow release incorporated in the potting media. If you are using a water soluble, continuous feeding program, reduce to 100-150ppm of 20-10-20*. I think you will be able to recover most varieties except for the most tender annuals such as Impatiens, Celosia, Lobelia, Torenia. Also, try to feed when the soil is slightly moist and not actually dry.(That may preclude the chance of burning the newly emerged tender foliage)

*Typically, I like to use the 20-10-20 formulations during the cool season and use tailored formulations for specific crops.
I hope this is helpful...how is it progressing?

Bookmark   April 20, 2007 at 10:08AM
daisy__3(z3MN)

Thanks farmerfields, some are coming out of it but I had to toss many ... I figured after this long there wasn't much hope...this will be my last year with the greenhouse...I am too old for this .....I will miss my customers very much...

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™