daffodil seeds?

silkysacto(z8/9Sacramento)March 24, 2008

Yes, I know that the narcissus/daffodil family multiplies at the base bulbs, but what is the function of that small bulb at the base of the bloom? That hard "sack" appears to contain something that looks like seeds. All my daffodils are finished blooming now and I'm wondering if I pick the spent flowers and plant those dead-heads with the bloom-base-sacks... will those sacks bring future clumps? I'm sure those sacks are called something but I don't know the terminology for them. They must have some function.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

the "sack" will eventually contain the seeds. This seed pod must mature & will then dry (turn brown/black) after that point (& not before) let pod sit at 70F for 4 weeks. Then store at 40F for 4 weeks THEN>>>>> lightly cover the seed siul temp 68-71F & takes 14-28 days to germinate.

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 2:07PM
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

I have some Paperwhite narcissus blooming right now. It is indoor, so there is no insect to pollinate the flowers. If I want to get some seed, do I have to manually pollinate them? Or will they self pollinate?

Thanks,
Dave

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 3:29AM
tabus

I am fond of daffodils. I want to grow every(greedy !) species of it. Difficulties is custom stricts. Doesnt permit to import bulbs.
So I have to grow it from seed. But I havent find any site selling daffodil seeds..
Anyone can help me?

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™