How to know if my Raspberry is PATENTED?

jolj(7b/8a)March 27, 2011

A man gave a raspberry to a Nurserymen, because it grows good in the south. The Nurseryman gave a plant to me. The Nurseryman retired & closed his Nursery.

I planted my raspberry, but did not tie the canes up(it grows like a dew berry) & they ALL rooted on the tips. This has went on for 4 years, & I am up to my neck in raspberries.

How am I to know or find out if this Plant is under a patented?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

If you look our your window and see a group similar to...

then you will know that you have propagated a patented plant. It is a federal no,no. Bad.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 2:21PM
jolj(7b/8a)

When they get here, they can have the plants.
I did not propagate them they grew wild, with out fertilizer. weeding, mulch or pruning.
How can I be propagating something I ignore?

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:02PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Unless the nurseryman gave you the proper cultivar name for the plant, there's no practical way for you to know whether or not it's patented. If you were given the name, you could do a search on one of the patent websites like PatentGenius.

If you don't plan on selling the plant, you probably don't really need to worry about it anyway. It is technically illegal for you to purposely propagate the plant, but allowing it to resprout from the tips that touch the ground DOES NOT count as propagating unless you remove AND replant or sell the new plants. Even if you gave a few divisions away to friends (which would be illegal), I'd guess that the chances of it ever causing you problems are very slim. If you have a nursery license and are thinking of selling the plant commercially or are considering developing it as a registered cultivar, you'll need to take steps/research to the best of your ability to ensure that your plant is not one of the patented cultivars.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 3:50AM
More Discussions
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™