J-4 - is it naturally a super dwarf?

mjhuntingtonbeachAugust 8, 2014

I purchased two specimens of J-4 from two different Thai ebay retailers back in 2008, one a small one tipped rooted/grafted plant, another a two tipped cutting that took almost a year to root. They both started off slowly, and the cutting I had to root took several years to get going. The larger grafted cutting now is around 30 inches tall with many many tips, in a 15 gallon pot. The smaller one didn't grow much and I finally moved it from a 5 gallon pot to the ground in spring 2013.

Well both are multiple tipped now, the smaller plant in the ground is still less that 2 feet tall, the one in the pot is around 30 inches tall, but both are amazing trees:

Before leafing out, with first a 12 inch measuring stick, and then with a yard stick:

The shorter one:

The taller one with a yard stick... 30 inches tall more or less:

Finally, recent pictures of both in bloom - I added one of the short plant with my cat Loki next to it to show you how short it is even after a year in the ground.

Shorter one:

"Tall" one:

The short one with Tai Surprise and J-105 in the background:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Love them -- they sure look compact to me!

And the cacti! How old must they be? Is that big fat one a Trichocereus terscheckii?

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 7:40AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Beautiful little trees!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 11:48AM
gidgetsocal

I don't know about J-4's growth habits, but they sure are nicely shaped, little trees. Nice cat, too! :-)

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 12:00PM
andrew78(6)

Wow! I am going to have to add J-4 to my list now! They are both gorgeous trees and I love the compact shape! Flowers are gorgeous but how is the scent?

I also love your cacti! It reminds me of my time in Phoenix, Arizona. I visited the Desert Botanical Gardens in spring and seeing all the different varieties blooming was amazing!

Andrew

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 1:53AM
mjhuntingtonbeach

Dave,

That's a 35 year old Pachycereus pringlei cactus, planted when it was 3 inches tall, now closer to 16-17 feet. It's huge, and my one fear is that it is getting top heavy, knock on wood that it won't fall over someday.

Andrew,

The description of J-4 on the websites of two Flplorida sellers claim it has a fragrance, but I have never been able to detect it - but that could just be my sniffer.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 6:23PM
KJMM

Wow I love that plant!!!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:12PM
KJMM

Wow I love that plant!!!!

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:13PM
andrew78(6)

You may be right about the scent. I remember a discussion had come up on J105. It seemed like the majority of people were saying that it had no scent but I remember Laura and a few others saying that it did have a fragrance. Is it possible that a J105 grown on the west coast may have little to no fragrance but the same variety grown on the east coast could have a stronger fragrance? I remember talking with John from JJ's and if was saying that I knew that I wouldn't get the vibrant colored flowers that he gets, but he told me that the one good thing I did have going for me was the higher humidity. Just food for thought.

Andrew

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
more middle room
re worked some space in the middle of courtyard. used...
rox146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™