Diatamaceous Earth spreading

BillM2April 22, 2013

I need to spread some Diatamaceous earth on a fairly large lawn. I know I could use a hand crank duster, but that might take a couple of days! What else could be used to cover a large area. Drop spreader?

Also, when's the best time of year to do it? Has anyone had experience using it for tick control?

Thanks!

This post was edited by BillM2 on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:23

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

First of all, I can't even imagine how expensive a project that will be! You're using horticultural/food grade diatomaceous earth (as opposed to pool filter stuff)?

Secondly, as far as I am concerned, there IS no good time to broadcast diatomaceous earth (DE) on your lawn. DE is a broad spectrum control agent that is capable of doing more harm than good and for a long time. There are many very beneficial creatures, including some natural predators of your ticks that can be harmed by the DE. Its best uses are very directed and contained, not broadcast over a large area.

Lastly, you will need to protect your lungs and your eyes if you decide to broadcast DE.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BillM2

I'll be using food grade DE and it's not that expensive. I've looked at chemical treatments which seem worse by comparison on their impact. What else can be used instead to get rid of ticks? From what I've read, DE seems like a good choice and I may elect to do perimeter treatment and areas closest to the house.

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Inventory
I have been selling plants that I grow for a long time...
angfull
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™