How long does it take to plant an apple tree?

GGInnovators(7)April 16, 2013

I am installing 25 apple, pear and peach trees at the end of the month.

I have installed trees before but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how much time this is going to take me.

Working with a crew of 2 people (including me).. How long would it take to plant one small (8-10ft) tree?

Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PAFlowers

As long as it takes you to dig a hole, place the tree in, and fill the hole back up. When I worked for an orchard, It would take two people about five minutes to plant 25 trees. Of course this was with a tree planter and in a straight row. Digging by hand, it is going to depend on the type of soil. Soft topsoil, might take you a half day. Shale or rock, you might be there a few days. Are you and your friend hard workers? or do you take coffeeor smoke breaks more than you work? Need more info to say for sure.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:04PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

GG, wd don't have enough information! Can we assume that the holes will all be hand dug? What kind of soil? Are the trees bare root, container grown, or field grown? Does anyone know how to hand dig a properly shaped and measured hole?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:07AM
GGInnovators(7)

The whole will be dug by hand. I spent the last two years working at a show garden and installed many, many plants and shrubs, I have read and talked extensivly about the proper size hole and I surpervised a crew last year installing evergreens. I do know how to dig the proper size hole just have no idea how long it is going to take. They are small about 8ft, 3-4yr old apple trees, container grown, holes will be dug by hand. The soil is pretty soft, we are hard workers.

We will first be removing the grass from the whole area, digging out the holes, planting the trees, topping the filled holes with compost, mulching the entire area, seeding and planting some annuals and perennials (mostly herbs and lavender) then using hardware cloth to create tree guards, spraying with organic orchard spray and installing soaker hoses. I think that is it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™