Ficus tree grafting

smittygrow(9)March 4, 2008

I have some ficus trees in pots about 3 ft. tall. I would like to graft some branches onto limbs that are sparse. That is, to make the plant more bushy.

I have made some grafts using a slanted cut & inserting a wedge-cut branch in the cut & sealing with toilet-wax-ring wax. Should I remove some leaves from the new branch graft ? It's only been a few days since I did some grafts, so there's no results yet. Also, I have in the past done some braiding of 3 plants.

These have been done while starting with young cuttings, & have turned out well. I don't have a *green thumb* by a long shot, but trying !

Smitty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SharonAnne1

I have a ficus in a planter indoors. It spent the summer out on my shaded patio (Missouri) doing quite well. However when my husband brought this miniature tree had not leave or branches on the one side of the tree. I would like to graft branches from where it is thick to the bare side. I have heard of this being done, but cannot find information. Can you help?

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 3:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The key to a full ficus tree doesn't hinge on your grafting skills, it hinges on your ability to provide the cultural conditions your plant prefers and a pruning/pinching plan that forces the back-budding required to keep the plant full. In most cases, experienced growers would reserve grafting for older trees that are exhibiting reluctance to back-bud on old wood.

What species are we talking about? Thread grafting and approach grafting are easy, and offer near 100% success, but may not be appropriate for all species of Ficus.

Al

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™