Mid August blooms on my Typhoon

mjhuntingtonbeachAugust 14, 2014

Took these tonight, only a few inflos this year but massive flowers where it does bloom. Strangely, a lot of the new growths are ending in dead ends, ready to branch again but with no inflos.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjhuntingtonbeach

One more....

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 2:05AM
plumerias_lover

So beautiful!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 2:38AM
barb13_gw

Those flowers are very beautiful. Love the color and so healthy looking. Barb

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 2:46AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Great photos! Love that one. The painted petal edges are really unique. What is the growth habit of Typhoon?

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:30AM
mjhuntingtonbeach

Dave,

For me Typhoon has always been a robust grower, big leaves, thick heavy branches, so thick that one large one just cracked off last September as you can see in the gap in the middle of the tree in the attached picture. But it is compact growth, not a rangy out of control octopus like Jeannie Moragne for example. I have found that the inflos tend to be short and often get covered up by the massive leaves, and the current year growth rarely produces inflos - branches always seem to dead end and then branch out, those branches producing flowers in Spring.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:10PM
Andrew Scott

Thanks for posting pics of your 'Typhoon'. This is at the top of my list of must haves. I was hoping to get it this year but it's looking like it will have to wait for next year.

I'm curious. What size pot did you buy when you got this tree? I'm just wondering how big this needs to get before it blooms. I bought one from Sonia years ago and not knowing any better at the time, I removed the grafting tape which sadly killed the grafted portion. One of my biggest regrets to this day.

Andrew

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 6:33PM
mjhuntingtonbeach

Andrew,

I picked this up as a recently rooted 1 gallon in late June 2008 at Jungle Jack's open house, It wasn't a thick or big cutting and I could never have guessed it would turn out to be such a thick robust growing plant. It doubled in height, and more than doubled in girth that summer and I remember needing to move it up to a 2 gallon in August. I repotted to a five gallon in May 2009 and it immediately broke out into five growing tips and became a small thick limbed tree with huge leaves that year. I seem to recall it had a few small flowers that fall, so it was roughly two season from freshly rooted to first blooms.

But as a caveat, in So California we have a long growing season, with active growth easily into late September/early October before going dormant, some still green and blooming into early December, so results may vary depending on climate zone.

Mike

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:15PM
jandey1(TX8)

Oh, she's so beautiful!! Must. Have. One.

Thanks for posting those awesome, pics, Mike! Is that spanish moss growing on her branches?

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 7:53PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

I agree.. She sure is lovely, Mike!!

Have a wonderful summer!!!

Laura

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 11:49PM
printmaster1

Very pretty. It's on my list!!
Lonnie

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:58PM
gidgetsocal

Beautiful, and the growth you've seen is fantastic! Mmmm...I think I might be waiting too long to pot up!

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Spring is on it's way...
Just wanted to post some "wake up" progress....
tunatony
Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix
Hi Guys and Gals!! I received a Bare Rooted tree from...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
1st Plumie Drama of the Season
It's unbelievable how early the season has started...
freak4plumeria
A few blooms from Madeira
Aloha plumeria friends! Wanted to share a few beauties...
David Richter
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™