Blackberry cuttings sprouted but not rooted

lovesblooms(7a)March 8, 2014

I cut some green blackberry cuttings and put them in rooting hormone, then Miracle-Gro potting soil, and kept them moist. This was in January. The cuttings all sprouted leaves early on, but they never opened (just have sprouted leaf buds all along the stems now) because at one point I let them go dry. After that I kept them moist, though. They are now brown on the outside instead of green.

When I checked today (these are for a trade), not a single one has roots. Some do have teeny fuzzy "hairs" (they stick straight out about 1/16 of an inch, which is the only way I could see them) growing around the part that's been in soil. None have even callused, like my woody Rose of Sharon cuttings did (and which do have roots now).

Any advice? Should I give up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

Um, I have only grown blackberries by tip-rooting the long canes. They will easily root from the ends of the long new season canes grown by the mother plant. I hold the tips under the soil with a bent wire and sever the rooted layer the following autumn. Thjs has been the easiest, most reliable method for me. I suspect blackberries have meristemmatic cells concentrated at the growing tips, making the usual semi-ripe methods of cutting quite tricky. You could try rooting a soft tip, maybe under mist, around June.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
Easy Propagation Chamber
I make a little propagation chamber that is so easy,...
little_dani
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen Dinnerware Southern Rooster 4-Piece Stoneware Fruit Bowl Set - 58749
$17.99 | Hayneedle
18-Inch Square Red Multi-Color Bohemian Cotton Pillow Cover with Poly Insert
$43.80 | Bellacor
Blackberry Napkin - Set of Six
$16.99 | zulily
Portmeirion Pomona Classics Traditional Breakfast Cup and Saucer - Set of 6 Mult
$210.00 | Hayneedle
WOW Speaker by KAKKOii
$45.00 | Lumens
Accent Rug: Scion Blackberry 2' x 3' Contemporary
Home Depot
Braided Accent Rug: Brook Farm Burgundy 2' x 4'
Home Depot
Linon Manor Blackberry Counter Stool
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™