Propagating with ground dirt

backyardfarmenerMarch 28, 2011

I ran out of money and primarily patience by trying propagation as my first activity in my new gardening hobby. Can i just use regular dirt from the ground to propagate? I used a grass flat with holes in the bottom to keep most rocks out...I guess i should of asked this question before I ended up with a huge pile of nice ground dirt in my driveway!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

The MOIST soil should first be heated to 120F for 30 minutes first (to sterilize the soil) allow the soil to cool then use.....there shoild be some organic matter in the soil.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 10:20AM
hookedongardens67

You can get some things to root in plain soil, depends on which plant you are trying to work with. Even using plain sand some times can work. But really a lot use just peat moss and perlite. You can get a lot of cuttings with using 3.8 cu ft of peat and perlite mix which would probably cost no more than $25 or so.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 12:52AM
calistoga_al

Your huge pile of dirt in your driveway I guess is a yard or two of "topsoil" you ordered delivered. You can propagate lots of plants in it. Divisions work really well. Cuttings from many plants will also do well. If you plan on growing from seed, the weed seeds in the topsoil are usually much faster than the seeds you plant, which will be overwhelmed if the soil is not sterilized first as george has suggested. Al

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 10:53PM
pizzuti(5A)

I think it depends on what you are trying to grow, how easily it roots, and the conditions it is put in.

Outdoor soil is very biologically active, containing insects, fungi, bacteria and weed seeds. If you want to root a plant that is very strong and hardy, roots well and is well-adapted to your climate, you can do it. Plants that are more difficult to root will probably not fair well.

If you want to use outdoor dirt try layering instead of making cuttings. Layering is like a cutting but the portion of the plant you are trying to root is still attached to the plant. You can feed a stem/shoot through the drain holes in the bottom of a pot, make a few knicks/wounds in the stem with a knife, filling the pot with dirt, waiting a few weeks and then severing the stem below the pot.

The reason why this is easier than cutting is that the portion of the plant being rooted is still being fed by the parent plant, so it can hold its own in the thriving ecosystem of garden soil.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™