renting greenhouse space

mbrown297(6b)April 11, 2005

I'm a small grower selling to restaurants in central NJ. I'm thinking about trying to rent some space in a local greenhouse before I invest in a larger greenhouse for myself. I have no idea if this is possible, or what the cost might be. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DonFenwick(4b Ont Canada)

Since you are looking for space at a premium time, expect it not to be cheap. I was approached by someone wanting to do the same and I priced it out at my expected yield per square foot of bench space ($25.00 sq ft). She wanted about 100 sq ft. and when she did the math she turned purple.... lolol..

Also, what kind of growing will you be doing? How much care is the greenhouse owner responsible for? If you are doing your own plant care, what do you know about IPM (Integrated Pest Management)? I would not want anyone else putting their plants near my crop.

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 12:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdaughn(zone 7)

I get this question all the time and due to my circumstance I have other people's plants all the time (unfortunately no rent) and it is a nightmare with pests, poor space management, poor water management,etc. Plus, if you are selling for consumption, you might not want your plant material in a greenhouse where certian pesticides are in use.

You might be better off to rent an existing but unused greenhouse. I know around here (central MD) there are businesess that have failed but the structure exists and there are several vocational schools and high schools that do not use their greenhouses anymore.

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Larson
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Plant photography
I recently ran into this issue on a lilac site. Plants...
Sherwood Botsford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™