A seedling's first flower

musaboru(Inland Calif.)August 24, 2012

Remember that inflo I posted a while ago? Well, it's finally bloomed!

-Dar

And also, a NoID with the most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
printmaster1

Congrats!!!
Both are very pretty, but I'm a sucker for the reds.

Lonnie

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:47AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

That seedling is so cool! Do you know what the parent was?

Mike

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:44AM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Dang this forum! I'm such a sucker. I read 'the most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria' and I totally want one now. Laugh.

Congrats on your beautiful plumies!

-Robert

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 9:31AM
SFLGPlume

Dar,

What a beautiful seedling! Outstanding color. Reminds me of 'Pink Pansy.'

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 10:03AM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Thanks guys!
Mike, this is a seedling of Orange Sapphire that I bought from bloomingplumerias on eBay. The scent of the flower is pretty weak so far but it has a scent that reminds me of a woman's perfume. I really do have to stick my nose up in there to sense it though.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:43AM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

Both are gorgeous! And like Robert I'm also a sucker for delectable fragrances . But if it's a NOID we won't be able to find it Robert! LOL.

Congrats on blooming beauties! :)

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 12:06PM
elucas101(8)

Great seedling, what an exciting feeling to see it bloom for the first time! That NOID is gorgeous!!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 12:14PM
nativec

You have two really lovely blooms there! Congrats!!! Your NoID is stunning:)

Happy growing!

Nicole

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 2:30PM
beachplant(9b)

Gorgeous!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 2:58PM
pcput

musaboru, I agree with Nicole and elucas101 they are stunningly gorgeous. Too bad you don't know what your noid is so we could also own " most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria". It's so nice to have a seedling bloom and be something worth keeping. How long did it take to get a bloom? Peg

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 3:34PM
joanr(8bTX)

Dar,

How exciting to see the first bloom on a seedling. It is very pretty. I bought an Orange Sapphire from Fuzzy also so we will have to compare blooms if mine ever decides to bloom :) Also your red NOID looks like Rose Red and I know my Rose Red has a very good smell. It is also a good bloomer. I really like that one.

Joan

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 4:37PM
shelia__greenthumb(6)

Hi Dar,
How many years did it take before your seedlings bloomed? I have 5 seedlings that I am still waiting for them to bloom. Your plumies are beautiful.
Shelia

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 5:40PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Thanks again for the nice comments.
I bought this one around 2010 iirc and it was already at least 9inches. So I assume it was a year old by then. So this plant is probably around 3 years old.

-Dar

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 9:18PM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

I had to wipe the drool off my chin after seeing your flowers, I can't wait to see my fist flower on one of my plumerias.
Thanks for sharing
Bear

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 9:51PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

I think Pink Pansy and one other named cultivar have that buttercup shape. Perhaps its a seedling from it. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:06PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

They are both beautiful..

Congratulations...

Laura

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:34AM
wally_1936(8b)

Love the blooms, maybe someday I will be able to grow a different color.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:39PM
jandey1(TX8)

Dar, that seedling is precious! Just like Pink Pansy but with a lavender stripe--very unusual. The color may intensify as it ages and as the temps rise.

Your NOID is also spectacular. Shame all us fragrance nuts can't buy it by name!

Jen

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:37AM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Jen,

Someone has stated to musaboru this about her NOID 'it may be Princess Maya which is some obscure variety available from a local wholesale nursery (C Stars)'.
We'll probably never be able to get our hot little hands on it which is probably a good thing! Laugh.

-Robert

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:04PM
DelWH

C Stars sells locally at Armstrong's Garden Center and I have also seen them at Home Depot and Lowes. If you google Princess Maya, you find a guy in Florida who sells wholesale, with a minimum order of 10 of the same variety. The pictures he shows online are the basic ones C Stars sells, including a picture of Princess Maya. He says they are shipped FOB from Gardena CA, which is where C Stars is located. My point here is that the C Stars plumies must be sold many places in the US besides just locally. One could probably contact that guy and find out what stores he sells to.

Here is a link that might be useful: C Stars varieties

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:36PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Oh, yes, Thanks Del for the link. When I bought it from HD, it was not in a pot, it was a rooted cutting in a burlap pouch and didn't have any wholesaler tag on it like most plants do at the big box nursery. So it can only be assumed to come from C-Star, but looking at the PDF, I see it bears more resemblance to Princessa.
I have seen potted C-Star varieties at the big box, but they are usually a few varieties like Playful, Cerise, and Pacific Pearl.

More on the scent: I saw a Penang Peach at a local nursery and my NoID has a similar scent to that but is stronger than that Penang Peach. I guess I wouldn't describe that peach scent as 100% true to a peach fruit as I thought it would be. I can sense other notes like gardenia and caramel in it.

Anyways, here's a shot of the seedling inflo from tonight. The color hasn't gotten any better, we've had 3 digit temps today and if anything seems like the pink bands fade a day after the flower opens. Scent is becoming more noticable but still not anything to write home about.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 1:39AM
DelWH

I have a C Stars Princesa but unfortunately it hasn't bloomed yet. It appears it will be a tall grower, based on the distance between leaf nodes. I got it in June, in a 1 gallon pot and it is about 2 feet tall already, noticeably taller than the other ones I bought at the same time. The tag reads "Large red flower with gold center and round petals. Fragrance is strong and pleasant".

I'm not sure if they sell them as cuttings in bags, I've been to C Stars a couple of times and it seems like everything is in pots. All the cuttings being rooted are in pots, that I've seen. Of course, it's a huge place and I haven't seen everything.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 2:20AM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Does your Princessa have a distinctive narrow leaf shape? I notice the leaves on my noid is narrower than most plumerias.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 2:41AM
DelWH

Here's a pic taken right after this surprise downpour today. lol

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
@ Laura....... :P
Im cutting "Big Papi" in a couple weeks,...
plumejunkie
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
Jungle Jacks at Lowes
So, now that I have your attention....when do you think...
rox146
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™