Heating issue chix brooder lamps

gardenfreak(7a)March 12, 2007

Has anyone tried to use the so called brooder lamps for either bottom heat or regular light/heating. I just ran across some today at a close=out store. They were 125 watt and I rem,ember seeing people using them for chicks to keep them warm. I am thinking if you built some enclosed box and put a couple in there and put the plant on top shouldn't that give enough hea ? Right now I am working on a set up with x-mas lights (the netting kind). I built a oval box with bricks and put the netting init and on top some wire shelving. I have to see if I am not loosing too much heat. The bricks will keep in some heat, but I might have to rethink the top.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenfreak(7a)

I think I figured something out. I took old storm windows, the ones that you pull down over your regular windows in the winter so you have kind of a double window. Well I put those on top of the bricks and the lights are like in a box, the light box. I will insert a thermometer to se whta temp I am getting. Now I have to work on the top lights. I am thinking Fluorescents on chains. How low do I bring those?

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™