Scheduling appointments

fencefm(5)April 1, 2012

I am just starting a gardening business. I have more than 15 years experience, creating, designing and maintaining my own gardens that everyone raves about. I will basically provide basic services, weeding, clean up, planting etc.

Some simple designing also for those who want to do most of the work themselves. I have four designs already set, with waiting til the weather improves here in zone 5 to plant.

My question is this, Do I schedule jobs so they are complete at one time and then move on to another- or is it ok to say, I can work in your garden, 4 hours this week, and come back and work on the next part of the project next week?

Should this be a question I am posing to clients?

I understand maintanence is a weekly, bi-weekly thing, but what if involves some clean-up, some garden work etc.

I work two days a week in an office, so am trying to schedule the work so that I can reach more clients- but is it better to work for one finish -and then move on to another?

What have you found as gardeners works best? thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

You asked: "is it better to work for one finish -and then move on to another?"

Your choice. Just let the client know up front.

As a client, I prefer the job be completed in one pass.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ebeth(z8 FL)

I tried working on up to three jobs at the same time. I found that I spent all my time and energy going from job to job, and never accomplished all that I wanted to accomplish. Now I start one job and work it until I'm finished. Yes, I may have a day or two in-between jobs that's down time, or I may have a job scheduled to start Monday that has to be pushed to Wednesday, but clients like knowing that I'm not going to be one of those people that shows up, works a little bit and leaves. They want the job DONE not started.
Anyway, that's my experience

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
KateInOhio
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™