Rooting week old rosemary cuttings

farmerkevin(USDA 9)March 5, 2014

A friend of a friend is moving and giving away a lot of plants. She gave a huge rosemary plant to a friend. My other friend took cuttings and forgot about them for about a week before he remembered them. Tey are kind of wilted, droopy but not totally dried out.

I have iba rooting hormone, and some well draining medium that was used with some aloe that got transplanted so I have some of that left over. It's not cactus/succulent mix, but it is very very light and fluffy.

How do I root this rosemary? Should I soak some cuttings in water,say overnight, then dip in rooting hormone, then stick in the medium? Safe to do so now? Should I root in water?

I want to try and grow this plant. It smelled awesome in the ladies yard, and can't it be used as a spice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Rosemary can not only be used as a herb, that is the main reason for growing it imo. It roots easily, even from week old pieces. Just push the pieces (about 3 - 6 inches long) into well draining medium in a pot). Make sure they don't dry out. Keep them warm at the base. And wait.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 11:15AM
gardenper(8)

I've rooted rosemary in water, and my mom did it in regular soil from the yard (without hormone). So I'd say it's a great candidate in just about any combination of methods you want to try.

With the water, I used a transparent cup and it took about 1 month to see root growth, but once that root shows up, it grows very fast.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:08PM
calistoga_al

Keep the humidity high by tenting your floppy cuttings, they should perk up in a day or two. Follow floral_uk suggestions. Al

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 9:11AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

A useful tip I've picked up over the years is to cover the cutting with a transparent or translucent soft drink cup, either when pushing the cutting into the compost or after transplanting. This ensures the humidity stays up. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™