Rare or not?

HomesteadFLPlumeriasAugust 18, 2013

I'm new to plumerias, I have a 20 foot tree of this type, and I got my hands on a cutting , can you tell me some tips? Maybe the rarest type? Anything I would have to know about plumerias. Also, is the 20 footer's flowers rare? Thanks :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

It's a beautiful flower. But it's really hard to ID a cultivar based on a photo. If the plant is very tall and somewhat lanky, I suppose it COULD possibly be 'Miami Rose', which is quite common.

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. Growing tips maybe? Looks like you're doing everything right!

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:26AM
irun5k

I agree with Dave, the flower + the fact that the tree is 20 ft and it sounds like in South FL(?) makes me think Miami Rose also. These are quite common in FL probably because they are hardy growers.

BTW, Miami Rose has a coconut or suntan oil scent.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:26AM
HomesteadFLPlumerias

It's VERY tall it doesn't really look like a tree, it's just straight up. I didn't get the whole tree, I'll try to get it next time I go to my dads nursery.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:27AM
freak4plumeria(So CA zone 10)

Its Miami Rose. Miami rose is very common in So Fl, also very leggy. The Suntan oil scent of Miami Rose is also a way to single her out. If you go to Lincoln Road Mall in South Beach the streets have many Miami Rose trees lining the streets to shade cars parked under them. So she is beautiful but not a rare cultivar.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 3:55PM
powderpuff

I agree, definitely Miami Rose. They are all over the place in Miami and the Keys. They get really big in South Florida.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Contest time!
Now that spring's finally here, let's have a little...
jandey1
Vera Cruz Rose Leaf Curl/Black Leaf Spot Issues.
Hello Forum member's I've Noticed my VCR Leaf Start...
edzone9
Plumeria minimum temp
Hello, I wonder if I can bring plumeria outside when...
vtsir
Frangipani Fading?
So 3 of my frangipani's are doing this badly on the...
archades
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™