Getting Ready for Garden Week

creatrix(z7 VA)April 14, 2005

I have a part time job doing garden maintenance for another designer, K. We have two homes open for Garden Week, which is a big deal here in VA. It's been interesting to watch- months of discussion about the location of the Port-a-Potties at one site!

Shrubs are being replaced, mulch is being strewn about, annuals are arriving by the truckload.

Today, Thurs., K notices some sad patches in the lawn and some sick rhododendrons- the house is open on Tuesday. She's been to the houes a lot over the last month, but hadn't noticed. I guess the lawn guys didn't think it was such a bad thing. Anyway, she's all over getting those patches green and lush by Tues. I won't be surprised if they sod them. She had nine Rhododendrons delivered today to be planted tomorrow. I'm bringing some ironite to try to green up a few Japanese Holly, we'll see.

It's going to be quite the experience for me. We drove past another house on the tour- they had done a bulb planting last fall- oops- the bulbs will be done by next week. I could feel K gloating. Of course, we have two trucks of annuals to plant in beds and containers between the two houses. Three 49+ year old women are all set to get this job done! (I'll let you know if I'm ready to go back to nursing after this!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FranVAz7(Alexandria VA)

Ah, the very mention of Garden Week brings back all sorts of unpleasant memories! Thank goodness I don't have to deal with that any longer; you have my sympathies.

Fran

Bookmark   April 17, 2005 at 1:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

We planted the containers Fri., and then covered them with row fabric. We haven't had a cold night in weeks, wouldn't you know!

Bookmark   April 17, 2005 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
KateInOhio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™